Eat & Drink
14 km west of Kenmare, The Lake House is a friendly family run country pub lying between mountain lakes and the sea on the spectacular Beara Peninsula.
With guest accommodation good food, boats and fly fishing on Cloonee Lakes, you are guaranteed a very enjoyable and relaxing stay with us.
Established in 1926 by James O’Shea, the Lake House is run today by his granddaughter, Mary O’Shea, herself a professional chef instructor and her husband, Sean.
With a long established tradition in providing food, drink and accommodation you are assured genuine warmth and hospitality, clearly illustrated with the repeat visitors and close friendships formed.
The Lake House is a perfect base from which to explore the unspoilt surrounding countryside and is very popular for hill walkers, cyclists and anglers alike offering an exceptional range of activities for the discerning visitor.
Those activities include:
• Angling- exceptional lake and river fishing, marked sea shore sites
• Hill walking- on the Beara Way marked walking routes (walking maps OS 84 /85 )
• Cycling – on the Beara cycling route
• Golf- An 18-hole course in Kenmare and a 9 hole course in Castletownbere.
• Horse- riding – Available from local stables. Check with Mary for further details
• Water Sports – Swimming, Diving, wind surfing, snorkelling and sailing.
• Archaeological sites—The area is dotted with stone circles alignments and gallauns
• Photography and Painting –The area has scenery and light that is uniquely magical for the artist and photographer alike.
All bedrooms are traditional and very comfortable with some rooms enjoying a panoramic view of the lakes and mountains.
Full bar and restaurant serving locally sourced quality home cooked food, freshly baked breads and desserts. Packed lunches are available.
Tuition by chef instructor Mary. specializing in Irish soda breads.
Storage for bikes and off road parking.
Entertainment is featured regularly during the season with great Traditional sessions on a Wednesday night. Not to be missed.
Complementary tea and coffee served on arrival.
Bed & Breakfast €30 per person per night. Boat hire € 26 per day
Where we are
Driving west on the R 571 Castletownbere road 14 km from the award winning heritage town of Kenmare and 37 km from Castletownbere, the principle white fish port in Ireland.
The road winds ahead toward another destination, another adventure. Through rock and rush, from sea to sky, let Beara take you on a voyage of discovery.